6.09.2011

Feeling A Little Shaky?

Tuesday morning, our toy poodle, Teddy woke me up around 3:00 AM. I looked around my room -- I didn't see anything that could have scared him, but he was acting weird and trying to get my attention. I figured he just needed to go outside though.

I was able to calm him down some, so I laid back down and closed my eyes. I was only half-awake and really didn't want to go outside, I thought I could just lay there for a little bit longer. After what was probably two seconds later, my eyes shot open.

The whole house started shaking, I could hear a low rumbling noise, and Teddy was barking uncontrollably. It was an earthquake!

I jumped out of bed and into the doorway somehow picking up the panicking dog on my way. Honestly, I felt like I could start panicking too. It's a really strange feeling when the ground you're standing on isn't stable. Then I realized the shaking wasn't violent and I probably didn't have to stand in the doorway. I decided not to move anyway.

Then it just stopped. I stayed in the safety of my doorway for a while before going back to bed. When I laid back down, both Teddy and I were wide awake and a little tense. I was expecting an after-shock even though it was only a 3.9 on the Richter Scale.

I've heard how animals can sense an earthquake before anyone can feel it, but I always wondered about it. Now I don't have to wonder anymore. Teddy was telling me something was wrong even before it happened -- he's like one of those dogs on TV!

2 comments:

Elisa said...

Awww, that is so cute..Well..I mean,.The dog is cute and pretty awesome for getting your attention! I have never been in an earthquake, but I'm sure it must be scary. O.O

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

O.O That's so scary! But very cool that your dog was able to sense what was happening before it happened.

Squeaks.